Sweidt

I'm struggling to repair my PS4 Pro 7116B which switched it's self off during a play session. I thought it could be overheating but it now no longer boots up. It has enough power to light up the blue led strip and beep, the fan spins for about 1 second stops and then the blue led stops blinking and it powers off. The disc drive happily accepts and ejects disks. It won't power up long enough to enter safe mode so that's no help. I'm not the first, nor likely the last, to discover than swapping hard disks between PS4s (Pros) doesn't work. I've got a replacement PS4 Pro, so all I want is for this to limp along long enough to recover my saves. Sod's law it's always too late when you discover the cloud saves weren't being auto-uploaded like you thought they were.
I've tried opening it up can checking for dust build up, but it looks pristine inside. I've applied new thermal paste since I had it open. I've added washers to the heat-sink clamp which seemed to help the original PS4, but didn't help me. Got to commend Replace Base on their service they sent a ADP300ER replacement power supply next day, so I can also rule out the power supply. YouTube videos show problems with the APU usually have the blue LED blink constantly. Mine switches on then off almost immediately. I'm stumped.

Anyone else even seen this problem before? Ta

Quote 0 0
Andree27
Let's see how much you know about console repair , i suspect the main processor is dead , it can be fixed, but not for long ...
First - if you yourself do it , you would do it with a soldering station ... The second - the repair shop will do it exactly the same ...
That means you have nowhere to put your money - you waste money ... The processor should never be repaired by a soldering station ...
Why - because the processor has a crystal , which you kill permanently ... But the biggest paradox is that workshops make money ,
performing this low-quality repair , and that you don't understand anything ... In order to make quality repairs, requires an infrared soldering
station ... The next thing you need is - best quality soldering flux ... If you have heard our forum on this topic the best flux , then for this kind
of work it's medium quality it's not a phone ... High quality flux starts from the IF 7500 (Completely halogen free Does not require washing) ...
The same goes for changing the graphics chip repair (more precisely the south bridge)... Everything else can be repaired with a hot air gun ...
The important point of all is the heating the motherboard from the bottom ... When the process is final , the motherboard is slow to cool down
otherwise it will deform , and again there will be no contact  (minion food - banana) ...
And this is considered a qualitatively incorrect repair ... (it is quality work but but but )
infra.jpg  infra1.jpg  infra2.jpg  infra3.jpg  infra4.jpg 

If in your case it's a south bridge or processor , don't try to repair it with hot air gun , permanently damage the motherboard ...
You can experiment by turning on the console - when it's hot, it can start working, but not for long ...
It is difficult to suggest how to make the right decision ... Correct is reball and with the right tools and a good master is a must...
If the chip is heated only , without reballing it will damage your company's reputation ...
Maybe I'm wrong ...
Quote 0 0
Sweidt
Hi Andree27,
I think I understand you. I agree the reball / reflow of BGA chips is a tricky and risky job. I was hoping my problem would be something not so drastic. Looks like I'll just have to restart my games from the beginning. Thanks.
Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.