Jay
I have recently had an iPhone Plus come in for repair, customer advised that the iPhone had a glitchy screen.

i receive the iPhone which was disasble, not advised about that so I had to restore the iPhone via iTunes.

then I discover the battery is not so good, replace that as well as the screen with a new one, all working fine!

customer comes back 2 weeks later, iPhone has got the same problem with the screen, right ok?

I receive the iPhone just spent the weekend testing it, all works as it should.

today it briefly wouldn't swipe, did a few hard resets and it started working again.

I have no grey bar at the top of the screen like some say happens with the touch disease, I've just fitted another screen from a reliable supplier... so that's 3 screens including the customers original that has had the same issue.

so my question is, can you have the start of Touch disease without the grey bar at the top of the screen?

does the issue sound very much like the touch disease?

I feel for the customer on this but I've done as much as I can here as I don't do board repairs for the Touch IC's 

Any advice much appreciated, I'll be staying well clear if I get similar repair request with similar characteristics.
Quote 0 0
Andy @ ACE-Repairs
I pretty sure you will only get the grey touch disease bar on a genuine screen.  I would fit a old genuine screen and see if the grey bars appear, also try twisting the phone a little to see if that makes a difference.  Also double check all connectors under a microscope or similar, make sure they are ok & clean.
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
As Andy said, Grey bars will not show on copy screens if it's an m1 failure, fit  a genuine screen and see what happens, they're are other faults related to touch that are ic issues so may because you don't have grey bars doesn't mean you don't have a touch issue, take diode readings from the connector and compare to a known good
Quote 0 0
Alex-tech
There is also the twist test. Its the first thing I do with a 6+ that comes in with no touch. If you hold the top 2 corners in one hand and twist it just a little you can see if that restores the touch function, which tells you that touch disease is almost certainly the issue. The grey bar doesn't always show when the touch disease first starts.
Quote 0 0
mikeherberts
Hi Jay, if you don't do Chip or logic board work then you are limited to Screen, connectors and twist tricks. The connectors associated with Touch are the Top (excluding the Top Camera connector) and the middle horizontal connector (J2401 & J2019). As suggested careful look at connectors under a microscope and clean gently with IPA. Then as suggested take Diode readings of all the Pins and compare against a known good board. The specific Pins are J2401..8/9/36/39, and J2019..3/9/15/21/27.Pins are counted from right to left, board facing UP, alternating top then bottom then top again.....clear as mud I know. They should give you a heads up if you have a Board problem
Quote 0 0
sussexitech
mikeherberts wrote:
Hi Jay, if you don't do Chip or logic board work then you are limited to Screen, connectors and twist tricks. The connectors associated with Touch are the Top (excluding the Top Camera connector) and the middle horizontal connector (J2401 & J2019). As suggested careful look at connectors under a microscope and clean gently with IPA. Then as suggested take Diode readings of all the Pins and compare against a known good board. The specific Pins are J2401..8/9/36/39, and J2019..3/9/15/21/27.Pins are counted from right to left, board facing UP, alternating top then bottom then top again.....clear as mud I know. They should give you a heads up if you have a Board problem

Mike

I would be interested in expanding my knowledge on Diode readings, interpretation of readings, board testing, etc etc - is there an initial pathway to learning (online,  attend college, or self teach using youtube, google and forums!?)
David C Blackburn
Sussex iTech

Web: http://www.sussexitech.co.uk
Call: 07777 890311
Text: 07919 338732
Email: david@sussexitech.co.uk
Facebook: "Sussex iTech"
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
youtube, ipadreab, mark shafer, chris long, sts are all good info for board repair, attend ipadrehab in Rochester NY, I went there in October and it was invaluable even though I had been doing board repair for 2 years prior to the course, you're always learning and Jessa is the mother of iPhone board repair.

http://forum.mendonipadrehab.com/  is the forum Jessa has setup, you will not get a pz bro answer but instead you will get pointed in the right direction to use your brain so that you learn to think the right way to diagnose issues
Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.