DTFix
There are , for the most part, 3 levels of quality on the replace base stock list for screens. Has any got any experience of theses levels. In particular, the difference between FX5. And premium.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks
Dave
DTFix
Quote 0 0
Tom

True Tone compatibility:ttr.pngA good blog on colour gamut for further reading https://www.eizo.co.uk/knowledge/monitor-expertise/understanding-color-gamut/ 

OEM will match the original screen as well that's what OEM is.

For FX5 and premium they are very similar and if you go by the tech specs there are pretty much the same just made in different factories.  We find for most people it is on preference for the difference.  Youda and iTrucolour are near the same as well usually with just a slightly lower colour gamut and accuracy than the FX5.  

I'll leave it for other to give there opinions on this though as it takes a repair tech who's used them lots to give a good difference. 

We are also once lock-down is over hoping to have some guides/videos made to go through the differences.  

Email: tom@replacebase.co.uk
Discord: Tom (Replacebase)#8513
Reddit: u/Replacebase
Quote 1 0
DTFix
Well, my first experience wasn't that good. Once fitted, there was a slight discoloration around the edges of the display. That in itself wasn't a big issue as it is my personal iPad. The main problem for me was getting the home button lined up. It didn't quite go right the first time and I managed to crack the screen while refitting it! My fault, obviously, but still £100 down the drain...
Ah well... We live and learn. Well, we live anyway!
Quote 0 0
Andree27
well, my first experience wasn't that good. Once fitted, there was a slight discoloration around the edges of the display.
That in itself wasn't a big issue as it is my personal i P a d.

Don't be offended but I want to comment , a slight discoloration around the edges of the display - before installation
performing a work ability test , I think , there were no such problems . It occurs if - internal parts like battery
and other parts are glued with too thick glue and the part is higher than the original ... If everything is left original -
and a similar problem arises , lcd adhesive tape need thicker ... LCD backlight facing any of the internal parts the effect is enhanced
when pressed with a finger ... When testing, I always try to pay attention to details ... if someone is not happy with the color gamut,
then it is another matter ... Without insults - but a common problem ...
lcda.jpg 
Quote 0 0
DTFix

Well, experience is the best teacher!
I have since ordered, and fitted, a second FX5 screen. The quality was much the same as the first. Ok but not great. The colour issue at the edges is still there even before the screen is bonded. I also note that the ribbon cable for the Smart Cover sensor is not present.

On the last iPad Air 2 screen replacement, I ordered a premium quality screen. They are not perfect but far better than the FX5. 

I note there are no adhesive strips pre-fitted so they need to be ordered too if you don’t have any in stock. Also the plastic front camera guide is not fitted and needs to be swapped over from the old screen.
The real benefits show through afterwards though. The display is really good. Great, even colour, no back light bleed and the digitiser glass is soft and flexible.
I was a little concerned that the FX5 screen would be easy to break as the glass is quite stiff.
On day, a customer will want to for for the OEM screen and I’ll be able to see how much better they are. Until then, I’ll be fitting premium screens.

Quote 0 0
Tom

Oh that's not good.

Would you be able to send some photos, of the screens if you can. Sounds like a issue and I would be more than happy to look into this for you. But glad the premium ones, are suiting you so far. 

Email: tom@replacebase.co.uk
Discord: Tom (Replacebase)#8513
Reddit: u/Replacebase
Quote 0 0
DTFix
I can't send pictures as the iPads have gone back to their respective owners. 
They seem happy enough with the screens, I have just got a good eye for quality.
The FX5 Screens are obviously made to a price. As I explain to customers, the more it costs, the better it is... Up to a point.
Some people want a job done as cheaply as possible. Others are more concerned about keeping the quality as close to OEM as possible. It's my job to make sure the customer knows what they are paying for.
I'm not saying FX5 Screens are so bad that they should not be used. I am merely stating that they are not a high enough standard to be considered a like for like replacement for an OEM Apple screen. While premium screens are a lot more work to fit, the end result is so close to OEM that the average user wouldn't notice it wasn't OEM.
Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.