bob5
I am just an retired Old Git who is just a bit sick of being ripped off by Google and Samsung when it comes to trying to get an update to my OS for my Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 ( GTI-9205) Smartphone!

So my question to all you Techies out there is:

Is there any other legal ways of getting an update to my OS (Kitkat 4.4.2)?
I have tried asking my provider then Samsung, and all tell me it's down to Google!
Have E mailed Google without any joy, they never reply.
So as a non tech is there a Legal way to upgrade my OS (no jail breakingg/rooting) e.g. flashing a new OS to the phone?

I know this is a long shot but if I do not ask I will never find out, and just have to stick with a system that forces us all to buy new phones when not required.

Any ideas guy's ?

bob5
Quote 0 0
Steve
Hi Bob,

You should be able to get the official update 4.4.2 (or 4.4.4) firmware update and flash it.

Im not too sure on the exact process as im not really a software man but you can use CyanogenMod to get this done. 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2666314 - this is the unofficial ROM but im sure that you can get the official ROM without much issue. 

Rooting / Jailbreaking isn't in any way illegal so dont worry about this aspect - it will only invalidate the warranty (that i assume has expired now anyway)  

Cheers

Steve 
Steve Garner | Replacebase Founder 

Need support? my team are happy to help - sales@replacebase.co.uk | 01604924700
Quote 0 0
bob5
Thanks Steve, ill check it out over the weekend. Do you know how far one can keep updating your OS this way, is there a limit?

As for the Rooting road I nevr had the bottle as one hears so many horror stories.

Thanks for your help Regards Bob
Quote 0 0
Steve
You can keep going as far as the hardware allows (assuming people are still creating the ROMS for the device), the rooting community is really strong - I have seem some really old phones (like the Moto Defy for example) running KitKat.

As far as I understand its pretty hard to completely brick a device now, the process is pretty well refined and generally considered safe to do.
Steve Garner | Replacebase Founder 

Need support? my team are happy to help - sales@replacebase.co.uk | 01604924700
Quote 1 0
bob5
Many thanks Bob
Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.