grahamcollett
I've got a red rag project that i'm not getting far with. My iphone5 went in the sea in my swimming shorts, made for a quiet holiday 🙂 I've since bought a new battery and washed the inside of the phone, but i cant now find the 5v from the lightning port getting to the battery connector. can anyone tell me where/how the 5v gets to the battery ... i know i am wasting my time but that is why i'm trying so hard. I can buy a new one for less than my time is worth. BUT I HAVE TO FIX IT 🙂
Quote 0 0
FiXiT
Hi Graham, salt water is the worse!! You will definitely have a short to ground at best finding this would of been fairly simply however if you have cleaned the pcb you have potentially removed all the indicating signs....pics would help if possible but unless theres data you need from the device is may not be worth your time
Quote 1 0
Luke
Hi Graham, any luck with the phone at all, or anything we can help with?
Quote 1 0
grahamcollett
I'm struggling to find where the 5v from the lightning connector goes to ... i was expecting to the battery connector somewhere but i have a feeling Mr Fixit might be right in that it is shorting down somewhere .. i have 5v on the lightning connector unplugged but cant find it anywhere inside the phone ...   need a wiring diagram !!
Quote 0 0
Luke
Sorry to hear you are still struggling with this, salt water can be a real problem as this is also corrosive and if the phone has been cleaned it will be difficult to determine where the issue will be. Sadly we do not have any wiring diagrams, but perhaps some of the board level guys on the forum can help? Otherwise this may be beyond repair 🙁
Quote 0 0
mikeherberts
Hi Graham. You have to eliminate the attached hardware before you look at the board for shorts. Seawater is very bad news depending on how long it was exposed before cleaning. The phone should be taken apart, the EMI shields removed, examined under a microscope for obvious oxidation then clean in a Ultrasonic bath with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) or Distilled water, then dry. Spot clean with IPA, Dry or reflow oxidated spots with flux and wash residue away with IPA. Then fire it up and see what you have ...if anything.

1. The Charge port. Best to buy a new one for a couple of pounds.
2. Battery. A new one is a good idea.

So with these known good parts you can start it up again and if no result you know you have a short. for board inspection and testing you need a decent microscope and a multi meter. Start at the Charge port connector and the Battery connector.

Unfortunately if you do have a short this can be involved and require 'Board' work to replace Filters, Capacitors, Resistors or Diodes and possibly a Chip. Board work requires some knowledge, a good microscope, decent quality micro-soldering equipment.
Quote 1 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.