Matt_M

Hi

Has anyone had any experience in using these battery activator / testers? Are they any good?

Do Replace Base have any plans to stock such item?

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/263152282922?chn=ps&adgroupid=52137191441&rlsatarget=pla-380309522091&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=119112695&poi=&googleloc=9045337&device=c&campaignid=974961043&crdt=0

Quote 0 0
Jay
Yes I have one, mostly use it for testing purchased batteries before fitting to an iPhone.

I personally think for the money it’s worth having one.
Quote 0 0
alzyxx
Yes, definitely worth having it if for nothing more than reviving completely flat batteries. Good if the battery is out of the phone but can be a bit fiddlely if it's still in the phone.
Quote 0 0
mikeherberts
Useful enough to consider. Doesn't cost much and works as described. Enables charging outside of the casing which is handy at times.
Quote 0 0
Keleko
Excuse my ignorance but does anyone have a resource for what voltage a bad battery is vs a good battery?
Quote 0 0
alzyxx
The operating voltage of most mobile phone batteries is between 3.6 and 4.3 volts. 

Battery condition cannot be determined by only the voltage shown. 
Quote 0 0
Keleko
alzyxx wrote:
The operating voltage of most mobile phone batteries is between 3.6 and 4.3 volts. 

Battery condition cannot be determined by only the voltage shown. 


Can it be determined by the current? I got this activator and am trying to work it without instructions lol
Quote 0 0
Jay
Keleko wrote:


Can it be determined by the current? I got this activator and am trying to work it without instructions lol


I wouldn’t say this tool is a one-stop tool to diagnosing battery health.
Quote 0 0
Keleko
Jay wrote:


I wouldn’t say this tool is a one-stop tool to diagnosing battery health.


Doh! I thought we'd found a tool for diagnosing. 
Quote 0 0
alzyxx
Definitely not a tool for in-depth diagnostics but okay if you just need a quick check. Because the display draws a small amount of current you can see how much the voltage depletes in an hour compared to a known good battery.

Full diagnostics check charge cycles and put the battery under load etc.
Quote 0 0
Keleko
alzyxx wrote:
Definitely not a tool for in-depth diagnostics but okay if you just need a quick check. Because the display draws a small amount of current you can see how much the voltage depletes in an hour compared to a known good battery.

Full diagnostics check charge cycles and put the battery under load etc.


How do you guys check this sort of stuff? We're getting more people in because they've heard about Apple in the news. We would normally just swap out the battery but I'd like to be able to check it too.
Quote 0 0
alzyxx
These are what I think you're after:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-Tester-and-Activation-Tool-Kit-for-iPhone-iPad-Apple-Watch-etc/253331817552?hash=item3afbc0c450:g:7aIAAOSwke9aPNd4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Battery-Tester-for-Apple-iPhone-iPad-Watch-Battery/172560980949?hash=item282d6f9bd5:g:-0wAAOSw32lYuqNU

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reset-Cycle-Apple-iPhone-Battery-Original-Fake-Tester-F-iPhone-5-6-6P-6S-7-Plus/311833738826?hash=item489abd3e4a:g:nAgAAOSwol5Y2HWe
Quote 0 0
Keleko


Prefect, thanks. Bit pricier than this activator lol
Quote 0 0
mikeherberts
Well you can build a simple circuit for peanuts. The only way to check a battery is under load. A battery in series with a 20 Ohm resistor will do the job...I=V/R...Battery is eg.. 4V, 1800mah, 100% Charged. Connect battery in series for  eg..3 hours...4v/20 ohms = 200ma/hour. 3hours = 600ma. used. ie 33% of 1800 mah...Battery should read 66%.....anything less than 66% is not good.....What do you think ?
Quote 0 0
mikeherberts
You could of course just compare it against a known good battery under equal conditions.
Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.