TNC

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased an OEM screen from Replace Base to fix an iPhone 7 I had laying around. Everything works great apart from the Force Touch functionality. The issue I have is that the 3D touch works as it should for the majority of the time but there are times when the phone doesn't respond to any pressure being applied to the screen at all as if force touch doesn't exist. I did make sure that the IC on the back of the screen is positioned correctly as this can cause issues and I did check that Force Touch is enabled in the settings menu. So I am not entirely sure if this is a software or hardware issue.

Have any of you come across this issue? I did see threads on the internet but they were about iPhone X.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Quote 0 0
shanice

Hi there, thanks for your post! 

I have found some basic troubleshooting tips on ifixit.com that has helped lots of people in a similar situation.

1. Adjust 3D Touch sensitivity

In order to change it, go to Settings → General → Accessibility → 3D Touch. Tap and drag the slider to Light or Medium according to your comfort level.

2. Press and hold, don’t drag

Make sure your finger doesn’t slip on the screen, which will result in tap and hold function and not 3D Touch. Press the app hard enough with still fingers and check if 3D touch is working.

3. Reset all settings

Resetting settings will not delete any of your data. It will just reset all the settings to factory state.

If at any point you believe the part has become faulty, please do get back in contact with us at sales@replacebase.co.uk and we'll be able to help you further.

I hope this helps :-)

Kind Regards, 
Shanice W
Customer Service Advisor

sales@replacebase.co.ukreplacebase.co.uk
Quote 0 0
TNC
Hi shanice,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried all of the above and it didn't help. The thing is that this is the second screen that I have 3D touch related issues with. The first one was OEM as well and the 3D touch worked on part of the screen so I send it back and ordered a new one which again has similar issue. I also tried one of your aftermarket ones which I had for another device and it worked without any issues. Can this be an issue with the batch of screens you have or is it just my luck?

Thanks
Quote 0 0
chesterrepaircentre
Just to clarify for you the issue is simple - Replacebase are buying refurbished OEM screens. The problem with refurbished screens however is if the 3D Touch/Backlight/Home Button Cable Flex is replaced as part of the refurbishing process and is not matched to the brand of LCD panel then you will have those very issues. It is common practice for the flex cable to get ripped and as such is replaced during refurbishment. If you google around you will find the way to check the serial numbers and identify if you have a matched LCD and 3D touch panel. 
Quote 0 0
Andree27
Basic information

There are three companies who make LCDs for the iPhone 7 and 7+; LG, Toshiba, and Sharp.
perhaps the touch was okay when you checked it, but your customer still comes back the next day saying it has stopped working?
It’s easy to blame this problem on a faulty screen, but it may not be as simple as that.

Manufacturers- Calibration Settings

Although the LCDs themselves are made to Apple’s strict specification, compatibility between iPhone devices varies greatly.
If you look at the 3D touch panel, there is a long serial code which might not look like it means anything but can be decoded to the following.
The first three letters identify the maker of the LCD and 3D touch panel and the remaining digits are the serial- unique to that LCD.
This information is also contained in the QR code on the back of the LCD and is recorded in Apple’s GSX server against the IMEI and the serial
number of the device. This is one of the ways Apple can tell if the iPhone has ever had the LCD changed.
Toshiba.jpg 
Lg.jpg 
Sharp.jpg 

It would be fair to say that if Toshiba produced an LCD, they would also produce a 3D touch panel attached to the LCD. That would be the same for LG and Sharp.
When the iPhone is made at the factory and the first LCD is installed, Apple uses a special calibration device to calibrate the iPhone to work with the LCD.
Apple to replace the screen At this stage, it does not matter whether the iPhone has an LG, Toshiba or Sharp LCD, as the calibration machine will make sure
that it is set up correctly. The problem occurs when the screen is replaced by a third party, which, of course, will not have access to the calibration machine.

If the iPhone was calibrated for a Toshiba or Sharp LCD and you install between these 2 manufacturers there is roughly a 5% chance of bad touch.
If the iPhone was originally calibrated for an LG LCD and you cross install with a Toshiba or Sharp LCD then there is a 50% chance of touch
problems because LG’s sensitivity range distribution is very different to these 2 manufacturers.
Without the calibration box to tell the iPhone you’ve installed a different manufacturer’s LCD you are going to have trouble unless you install an LG LCD.
This probably explains why, if you install an LCD and experience touch problems, then install another LCD and it works, you’d automatically assume a bad LCD.

If you install an LG 3D touch panel into a Toshiba LCD around 10% won’t work. If you install a Toshiba 3D touch panel into an LG LCD then 60% won’t work
For mixing Sharp LCDs or 3D touch panels - I DO NOT KNOW ...
3d.jpg 
Conclusion

So, in summary, it is very easy to assume the LCD is oem
If you do experience touch problems with a refurbished LCD then before buying it get acquainted with the this information
this applies to the seller...
Quote 2 0
TNC
@Andree27, thank you for the detailed information. I finally had some time to have a look at the device and I think the issue is definitely related to screen manufacturer. The serial number of of the original screen starts with DKH which means that it is manufactured by Sharp, however, the one I got from RB starts with C3F, meaning that it is an LG screen. So in my case they are not compatible. I tried another broken screen that I had laying around which is manufactured by Toshiba and that one works a treat.  I will speak with RB and try to figure out something.

Thank you all for the info 🙂
Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.