macminitosh
Hello there,

I recently changed the lightning port assembly of my iPhone 6s over charging issues, i ordered the OEM Part from the thereplacebase store. Now, after installing the assembly, the charging port and the headphone jack are functioning as expected, as well as the microphones.

The only thing that drives me crazy is that my cellular data (mobile internet) doesn't work most of the time and my signal bar keeps jumping from 1 bar to 3 bars to full reception.

I'm not sure whether it is a screw or part of the assembly not grounding properly - i read online that might be the issue - or a faulty flex cable (on the bottom right) connecting to the mainboard as others say.

I've run out of ideas, so i ordered another part from ebay which didn't work either. I also tried resetting the network settings and swapping out SIM cards, which unfortunately changed nothing. There are a few posts on other repair forums about the problem, sometimes with the same problem on the iPhone 6, but none of them seem to give a definite answer.

So, if anyone of you might have an idea what to try or battled the same problem, feel free to post it here. I thank you in advance.

IMG_3139.JPG 

please excuse my english, i'm not a native. If there's anything that isn't understandable, i'll try and explain it further.
Quote 0 0
TheMicroGuys
Hi Macminitosh + welcome.
Nothing wrong with your English :-)

Ok, so the most likely cause will be a grounding issue. I would disassemble the Iphone and start again. You need to make sure that all the exposed areas on the antenna cables are located in the clips in the casing and making good contact. Also clean the cables with IPA. Oils from your fingers are enough to cause poor conductivity/connection.
Same applies to the antenna at the top left of the Iphone Ensure all the metal contacts are clean before screwing it back in place.

It is possible you may have damaged the long cable when pulling it from the case in which case this will need to be replaced but this is the less likely scenario.

Hope this helps

Mark
The Micro Guys Ltd
WEB   http://www.themicroguys.co.uk
EMAIL service@themicroguys.co.uk
TEL    01803 467 477
Quote 1 0
macminitosh
Hi, 

thank you for your response.

TheMicroGuys wrote:

Nothing wrong with your English :-)

thanks [smile]

TheMicroGuys wrote:

Ok, so the most likely cause will be a grounding issue. I would disassemble the iPhone and start again. You need to make sure that all the exposed areas on the antenna cables are located in the clips in the casing and making good contact. Also clean the cables with IPA. Oils from your fingers are enough to cause poor conductivity/connection.

Same applies to the antenna at the top left of the iPhone Ensure all the metal contacts are clean before screwing it back in place.

I didn't remove the mainboard or any of the upper antennas while performing the repair, so i doubt that the problem's there...  I did clean all the parts that i could have touched with my fingers, but i didn't go as far as removing the entire mainboard and antennas.

I took out the Lightning port assembly and cleaned every contact point, cable and screw before reinstalling everything and making sure that the antenna cable is routed the same way it was before. After rebooting and deleting all network settings, it picked up a connection to the mobile network (3G) which it has not done before, but the overall reception is still worse than before, e.g. no signal inside of bigger buildings (where i had a signal before), "no service" when i go somewhere and don't do a manual search for it... and even then it is pretty weak and unstable.

TheMicroGuys wrote:

It is possible you may have damaged the long cable when pulling it from the case in which case this will need to be replaced but this is the less likely scenario.

Hope this helps

Mark

I appreciate your input, thank you very much for your help. 

I'll try and order a new Lightning port assembly, and maybe a new antenna if that doesn't work, it really is a first for me to have this sort of reappearing, consistent problem.
Quote 0 0
TheMicroGuys
My apologies,
For some reason I had it in my head that you had removed the board. Disregard my comments re the top  antenna/cable.
The only other advice I can offer is to make sure that you have a good clean contact between the large adhesive patch on the lightning port assembly and the phone housing. Ideally you don't want any old adhesive remaining in this area.
If there are still problems after the third port replacement then I think you have to consider this may be a board issue.
The Micro Guys Ltd
WEB   http://www.themicroguys.co.uk
EMAIL service@themicroguys.co.uk
TEL    01803 467 477
Quote 0 0
Dave123
Hi macminitosh,

Just wanted to ask if this issue was ever resolved for you? I have had an almost identical issue since replacing the charging port on my own iPhone 6s with a replacebase product, the only difference for me being that I can't seem to get any service at all. I have checked the sim card is still fine (which it is) and gone through all the typical "loss of signal" solutions within the phone settings. 

Any update you can give would be much appreciated. 
Thanks,
Dave 
Quote 0 0
gusferlizi

To shine some light on the matter:

I've done a little reading on the datasheet of the 6S+ and concluded that the explicit GSM antenna connection points are only the three blue arrow screws. (it probably, also, couples through some other screw hole to the rear band for signal modulation/polarization) 

That micro coax cable (red) is what brings a duplex low band + medium/high band (multifrequency) RF signal to the dock assembly.

The yellow triangles are main points of concern, as in the big one the coax cable looks pinched by the taptic solenoid, and worse, on the small one the screw tab looks broken.

The flex cable connector for this whole assembly (J4600) only brings some control signal for antenna coupling (which I think is done by that little chip right above the small triangle), and I find unlikely that it would be at fault unless there is dirt inside the connector.
6S-antenna.jpg

Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.