Cloud9

Hi
I have changed the screen and battery on an iPhone 6s.
I have probably replaced over a hundred Apple lcds successfully.

Here is what I know:

I initially changed a smashed screen, the new screen worked but the phone was saying it needed to be reinstalled via iTunes.

When trying to reseat the screen I could see that the battery was inflated, so ordered and fitted a new OEM battery (from Replace Base).

When rebooting, the screen was black but you could see a dim glow around the edges. iTunes picked up the phone but required me to put in the PIN no.

I tried 2 other new screens with exactly the same result; no pictures but the phone is picked up by iTunes

The new screen works on a different iPhone 6

Now here's the really confusing thing:

The iPhone boots and shows an image with the original (smashed) LCD!

Any suggestions would be apreciated

Cheers

Quote 0 0
Jay
Are the other screens from RB ? 

Do you know if the iPhone 6S has the latest iOS update 11.0.3

could be suspect screens, if you're saying the original screen works ok and the others don't, you know a screen works albeit cracked.

contact RB or supplier of screens for advice also.
Quote 0 0
Jay
Also as funny as it sounds, I have had issues with some screens not working on an iPhone, sent back to my supplier (not RB on this occasion) and my supplier has tested them on another device and they've worked? Weird!

I have not had this for a long time however, and it has been rare.
Quote 0 0
Cloud9
Hi, thanks for the reply.
The confusing thing is that the new screen works on a different iPhone, so I am happy it's not a duff screen.
The screen is not from RB on this occasion but from a supplier that we use regularly.
Not sure about the OS is I haven't managed to get into it yet. iTunes won't let me in without a pin and I haven't managed to get it into recovery mode yet.
Do you think a restore/update would do it?
Quote 0 0
Jay
Is this a customers iPhone, how come you don't have the pass code? 
Quote 0 0
Cloud9
It is a customers phone and I do have the pin, unfortunately I have no way of entering it
Quote 0 0
Jay
You can't enter it on the original screen? no swipe or touch? 
Quote 0 0
Cloud9
The old screen shows a picture but no swipe or touch response
Quote 0 0
Jay
I'm unsure if you are aware but iOS 11, 11.01 and 11.02 caused issues with some third party screens, touch would not work on them, unsure if they caused other issues tho.

A 100% genuine Apple screen will work ok on swipe with the above iOS updates, iOS 11.03 sorted the problem out on third party screens, hence why I was asking if it was on the latest iOS.

most probably best to talk to your customer re: attempting a restore / update first before trying it.

sounds like one of those pain jobs here, we've all had them... a simple job in theory which turns out to be much more!
Quote 0 0
Cloud9
Indeed, I have replaced several without issues... just every now and then...

The customer has his Apple ID details, so the phone can be restored if needed. I'll keep trying to get it into recovery mode.
When I first fitted the screen we did have an image but was asking to be restored with iTunes, I was after the battery change the the black screen happened... so I am now wondering if it is a software glitch
Quote 0 0
Jay
Try and get it in DFU 

All very odd, good luck 
Quote 0 0
Cloud9
Cheers, I'll update you tomorrow [smile]
Quote 0 0
Cloud9
Sorry for the late reply, it's been busy at work.
I managed to get it in to Recovery Mode and went for the least destructive option first - Update. It did this without a problem but, it made no difference... Still a black screen.
I haven't managed to get it back in to Recovery since, it just keep booting to the (invisible) log in screen.
I did try the original (swollen) battery with the same result.. I know the screen worked when we first fitted it but it couldn't be fixed down because of the swollen battery.
Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.