DavWallace
To summarize what has happened, I dropped it down the toilet, thankfully before anything happened, and fished it out quickly. I left it in a bag of rice over night and then replaced the screen in the morning as the phone still worked just the display was funny. It took a charge for about 5 minutes then stopped. So I've now replaced the battery and it didn't take a charge, so replaced the charging port and it still isn't taking a charge.

Has anyone had any previous experiences similar, or do you think the water has damaged the phone to an extent I would just be better buying a refurb.

Thanks
Quote 0 0
Jay
DavWallace wrote:
To summarize what has happened, I dropped it down the toilet, thankfully before anything happened, and fished it out quickly. I left it in a bag of rice over night and then replaced the screen in the morning as the phone still worked just the display was funny. It took a charge for about 5 minutes then stopped. So I've now replaced the battery and it didn't take a charge, so replaced the charging port and it still isn't taking a charge.

Has anyone had any previous experiences similar, or do you think the water has damaged the phone to an extent I would just be better buying a refurb.

Thanks

im sure most of the guys on here will tell you that using rice is a waste of time, it can't magically clean your logic board and prevent corrosion.

i think your big mistake here was not stripping the iPhone straight away to see how much water had got inside the iPhone.

without treating the iPhone properly firstly, adding a charge to it is going to short something on the board.

there are a few guys on here who could help with board level repairs, I'm sure they will answer soon.
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
fixing liquid damage for the sake of the phone is a silly thing to do, whilst you can fix corrosion you can see corrosion can still be eating away at components, bga chips and easily fail next day, next week, next month.......that being said the most likely cause is tristar or tigris or even both for your charging issue.

I would tell customer that they'd be better to replace the phone
Quote 0 0
mobifixstudio
I'm always curious to find out what madness possesses people to put their wet phones in rice? I see it so often yet there is no basis for it ever working.
Quote 0 0
Jay
Bytesize wrote:
fixing liquid damage for the sake of the phone is a silly thing to do, whilst you can fix corrosion you can see corrosion can still be eating away at components, bga chips and easily fail next day, next week, next month.......that being said the most likely cause is tristar or tigris or even both for your charging issue.

I would tell customer that they'd be better to replace the phone

it's not a customers iPhone by the way " I dropped it down the toilet" 

so I take it you only take on water damaged phones for data recovery? 
Quote 1 0
Bytesize
mobifixstudio wrote:
I'm always curious to find out what madness possesses people to put their wet phones in rice? I see it so often yet there is no basis for it ever working.

I hear ya, I have never seen a grain of rice fix corrosion yet, lets absorb the moisture real fast with the rice and speed up corrosion yaaaay look my phone is working........oh wait no its not.

can anyone explain to me why water damage repair is offered as a service when no guarantee can be made on the longevity of the repair and with that in mind taking money from the customer on a repair that cannot be guaranteed, I offer liquid damage repair for DATA Recovery only
Quote 0 0
Jay
mobifixstudio wrote:

part of the reason for this is certain people using rice and sitting the phone in a Tupperware box for a few days, turning it back on and it works!!.... yay the rice fixed my phone, truth is hardly any fluid got into the phone in the first place or none at all (depending on the type of fluid damage) 

there is a video on YouTube, an American lady who did some real tests about the rice myths.
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
Jay wrote:

it's not a customers iPhone by the way " I dropped it down the toilet" 

so I take it you only take on water damaged phones for data recovery? 

if it's your own phone your fixing for you then as I said look to tristar and tigris, that is the most likely culprits but also check for shorts on the components around that area for shorts
Quote 0 0
Jay
Bytesize wrote:

can anyone explain to me why water damage repair is offered as a service when no guarantee can be made on the longevity of the repair and with that in mind taking money from the customer on a repair that cannot be guaranteed, I offer liquid damage repair for DATA Recovery only

seems like a lot of companies do this, had a guy near me doing it a few years back... ended up getting bad reviews, complaints as was promising to fix but then long delays, he set himself up to fail.

im like you, I don't guarantee a fix and it's more for data than anything else.... being honest with a customer is the best way and it's not always about making a bit of money. No good when you got disappointed customers when you haven't been honest.
Quote 1 0
Jay
Bytesize wrote:

if it's your own phone your fixing for you then as I said look to tristar and tigris, that is the most likely culprits but also check for shorts on the components around that area for shorts

not my iPhone, was just stating what the OP Dave said... I doubt he will go that far with the iPhone, another iPhone for him then [frown] 
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
Jay wrote:

not my iPhone, was just stating what the OP Dave said... I doubt he will go that far with the iPhone, another iPhone for him then [frown] 

I really should learn to read the whole message and not just the bits I like
Quote 0 0
mobifixstudio
I never take in a phone that has been put in rice. If I do manage to get some life out of it I always tell the customer be get very disciplined about backups because they will need it.

Oddly the only phone I totally recovered was one dropped the sea. The customer phoned me crying "help what do I do!"?  I told him to put the phone in a bag or cup  of fresh water and bring it straight to me. This command was counter intuitive to the customer and I had some trouble getting him to do as I said. The phone arrived within the hour, was stripped  down and soaked it in IPA. After boiling off the IPA and replacing the screen it worked. I have subsequently replaced the battery, lightning port and speaker but 12 months later it is still OK. That job got me a couple of good reviews.

I have now left a few phone screwdrivers and a bottle of IPA at the local sailing club with instructions how to use it and the suggestion that anyone using rice will be considered less than smart.
Quote 0 0
Jay
Bytesize wrote:

I really should learn to read the whole message and not just the bits I like

no problem [smile] 

i posted in the iPod forum, got an iPod Classic 160GB A1238 that he needs the dick port soldering on, how much would you charge for that?

sorry DOCK port 
Quote 0 0
Jay
mobifixstudio wrote:
I never take in a phone that has been put in rice. If I do manage to get some life out of it I always tell the customer be get very disciplined about backups because they will need it.

Oddly the only phone I totally recovered was one dropped the sea. The customer phoned me crying "help what do I do!"?  I told him to put the phone in a bag or cup  of fresh water and bring it straight to me. This command was counter intuitive to the customer and I had some trouble getting him to do as I said. The phone arrived within the hour, was stripped  down and soaked it in IPA. After boiling off the IPA and replacing the screen it worked. I have subsequently replaced the battery, lightning port and speaker but 12 months later it is still OK. That job got me a couple of good reviews.

I have now left a few phone screwdrivers and a bottle of IPA at the local sailing club with instructions how to use it and the suggestion that anyone using rice will be considered less than smart.

I have recovered a few water damaged iPhones but others I have not, mostly it's not even viable for me to take them on these days.
Quote 0 0
DavWallace
Thanks for the replies, think I will just buy a refurb phone, probably cheaper in the long run
Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.