DotNet Media
I have a iPhone 6 that when turned on displays the Apple logo for around 15 seconds and then restarts.
I've had this issue before which turned out to be the NAND however the difference with this one is that when the device has been left with no battery for a while it will boot up and can be used for a few minutes before it restarts again, this makes me believe it is not the NAND issue.

I have tried a restore however prior to the restore starting I get error 9 from iTunes.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
error 9 can relate to the battery and also the nand, try another battery if you have access to a test meter then check the voltage, battery your looking for 3.8v and more importantly the gas guage should be 2v, the gas guage is the middle pin on the battery
Quote 0 0
DotNet Media
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have since posting found that if I gently press on the sim reader housing whilst turning on the phone boots up and seems to work fine. This to me would indicate either a bad solder joint under an ic or maybe I'm bending the board very slightly completing a bad trace. Once booted I no longer have to press on the sim reader and all seems fine.

I think I've answered my own question in a way however finding the culpruit is proving very difficult.

Thanks
Quote 0 0
DotNet Media
Thinking about this again, pressing on the sim reader would put pressure on the NAND which I think is directly opposite on the rear of the board.
Even pressing gently on the sim reader allows the iphone to fully restore.

I'm thinking a reflow of the NAND is in order?

Thanks
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
if it's an oxidised solder ball then reflow will be a temporary measure but if you are goin to do that then remove as much underfill as you can and make sure you get a good flux flow under the NAND for any real chance of success, don't use too much heat(hot enough but not too hot)
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
if it's an oxidised solder ball then reflow will be a temporary measure but if you are goin to do that then remove as much underfill as you can and make sure you get a good flux flow under the NAND for any real chance of success, don't use too much heat(hot enough but not too hot)
Quote 0 0
DotNet Media
Thanks, heat is commonly a difficult one to identify due to different stations etc. I use a very cheap machine however I have been very impressed with it. The temperature gauge is at best not calibrated but it has served me well so far. I typically use around 410 degrees for ic removal however I have found that 300 degrees allows me to remove the LCD / digitizer FPC without melting them thus transferring them to another board. I guess with the solder melting point around 217 degrees shows how far out my gauge is. lol.

I'm generally not a fan of reflowing I prefer to replace with new devices however it's not always possible, is it worth investing in a NAND programmer?
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
I would recommend you do a good few nand removal on donor boards until you're happy you can remove them cleanly then and only then I'd invest in a nand programmer, also weigh up the time spent on doing it versus how much you could charge for such a service and see if there is value in it for you.
Quote 0 0
festow32
Hi DotNet Media, how did you end up resolving the issue. My iPhone 6 behaves exactly the same way, when I press on top of the sim card, it boots normally and can work for several hours without any issue. Otherwise it keeps bootlooping Until I disconnect the battery. brings error 9 unless I press on the SIM tray. thanks 
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
I suspect there is a bad solder joint on the NAND, this would need to be removed and reballed which should fix it, also there are a couple of resistors(data lines to the cpu) by the eprom which may be the issue also
Quote 0 0
festow32
Thanks for the response, I'll try to reball the NAND and see how it goes, it's so weird sometimes it powers on correctly only to  freeze at the lock screen for about 30 seconds, just after I finish entering my pass code. it then restarts automatically. Sometimes keep looping on the apple logo.
Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.