FBG
Bit of a long story this one so bear with me.
I replaced a screen on a iPad mini for a customer about 6 months ago and sold her a otter box case. Get a phone call last week, that she dropped a beaker on it and broke the screen again. I replaced the screen but it has a dead area in the top left corner. I have tried 4 different screens and they all have the same problem. Any ideas?
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
did you damage the digitiser fpc on the board during removal?? or maybe knock off a component? have a close look in that area if you don't have a microscope then zoom in using your smartphone camera
Quote 0 0
FBG
No damage to the logic board at all. Forgot to add that the screen works perfect when it's vertical l, but when you lay it down it goes funny. I have insulated all around the screen edge with kapton tape to see if this makes a difference. I have also checked all the corners to see if there are bends. 
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
does the digitiser ic have the solder points covered to prevent shorting? what quality of screen are you using?
Quote 0 0
FBG
Yeah everything is covered. Not the best quality but there good screens haven't had a problem in the last 2 years using them
Quote 0 0
MACH Computers

I would try one of the RB screens before anything else. My last supplier was consistent for some time and I had no issues at all and then one day I started having ghost touch issues which I couldn't get my head around, ended up sending the lot back and started using RB. The only thing I can think of is that your suppliers supplier has either changed or the factory has cut back somewhere. 

Either way, I'd almost certainly say its digitiser related if all else seems fine.

Chris - Owner
MACH Computers Kent

W: http://www.machcomputers.co.uk
E: service@machcomputers.co.uk
T: 01622 236343
Quote 0 0
Jay
FBG wrote:
Yeah everything is covered. Not the best quality but there good screens haven't had a problem in the last 2 years using them

im sure most who have done repairs have had issues with the screens, I've had batches before with issues with dead spots, ghosting etc.

iPad Mini and iPad Air have caused me more issues than iPad 2,3,4 etc.

I use a few suppliers, had it from them and at times RB but always been sorted in the end, just frustrating.

I prefer to pay a little more at the end of the day, my other supplier for the iPad Mini has been spot on lately.
Quote 0 0
FBG
Used the screens on othe ipads and there fine. Ordered a RB screen and still the same issue. Giving up on it now.
Quote 0 0
Jay
FBG wrote:
Used the screens on othe ipads and there fine. Ordered a RB screen and still the same issue. Giving up on it now.

if they work ok on another iPad then that rules suspect screens out, sounds like it's been a ball breaker on this one.
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
I'd have a very close look at the digitiser fpc for dry solder joint, bent pin etc..etc..
Quote 0 0
FBG
Nightmare woman just cant understand that it is what it is. She keeps saying it was fine before it came to me.

Nope checked that its spot on. Im thinking touch IC but don't know how that would have failed 
Quote 0 0
Jay
FBG wrote:
Nightmare woman just cant understand that it is what it is. She keeps saying it was fine before it came to me.

Nope checked that its spot on. Im thinking touch IC but don't know how that would have failed 

You could ask Bytesize for a second opinion here, take some pictures and message them / email them to him.

If no other solutions then are you going to advise the customer that you have tested screens on another device and they work perfect and there is obviously a bigger issue with the iPad, you could get a second opinion but it will cost more than the original screen quoted.... a lot of this is down to how you deal with the customer and how rational he / she is.

good luck 
Quote 0 0
FBG
Not rational at all, shes a nightmare tried so many screens from few different suppliers and a couple of different lcds just to throw in the mix. iPad has been sat here for a month now and no coms from her at all so it is what it is. 
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
Given everything you have done my suspicion is still with the digitiser fpc on the logic board
Quote 0 0
Jay
FBG wrote:
Not rational at all, shes a nightmare tried so many screens from few different suppliers and a couple of different lcds just to throw in the mix. iPad has been sat here for a month now and no coms from her at all so it is what it is. 

ok I think we've all had a nightmare customer in our time, had a few over the many years of doing repairs... some accept what it is and others don't.

to cover yourself, I take it you have her address? do a polite letter advising of what you have done, outcome is not the one wanted. You have had the iPad for a month, you would like the iPad collected within the next 7-14 days or what you think is reasonable.

The iPad is still her property at the end of the day, put it down to a bad experience and move on.

if no communication in the 7-14 days then do what you want with the iPad, it's her opportunity to collect it or at least communicate with you. It does sound like she has washed her hands of it but don't assume that as she might give you a headache if you don't give her the opportunity of collecting it or paying postage back to her if she didn't want to collect in person?

make sure you send the letter by recorded post.

good luck with it.
Quote 0 0
FBG
Its not the first awkward repair and wont be the last i suppose. I have sent her a email explaining what I have done how we move forward, I also offered her a full refund as a good will gesture. I am going to leave it for a while and then contact her again. Already offered her postage back as she doesn't live in the area of the shop but she said her mother would collect. Chalk it up as a experiance 
Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.