Bootlegger
Got an RB oem digitizer to replace a smashed one on ipad mini 2. Prior to removal smashed digi did work enough to slide to power off. Got digi off but during removal managed to somehow knock power back on. Sure I didn't hit power button and only used plastic picks. Tried broken still attached digi to turn off but wouldn't respond so continued teardown. Got out Lcd and shield cover. Removed connector cover and detached power before removing other connectors. Fitted new digi in situ and reversed assembly to test before sticking digi down.  Home button responded but digi didnt. Double checked all connections and seemed fine.  Have I damaged digi or mb somehow? Short of buying another digi how can I prove what's faulty.  Tried old broken digi too and exact same result, home button ok but digi no response, but that is badly trashed so can not really use that as a confirmation.  The only thing that makes me think it's not the digi is that the home button goes through the digi connector and is not separate and the home button works ok. I currently suspect it may be a mb fault. Help..... Please!!  Regards jason
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
Bootlegger wrote:
Got an RB oem digitizer to replace a smashed one on ipad mini 2. Prior to removal smashed digi did work enough to slide to power off. Got digi off but during removal managed to somehow knock power back on. Sure I didn't hit power button and only used plastic picks. Tried broken still attached digi to turn off but wouldn't respond so continued teardown. Got out Lcd and shield cover. Removed connector cover and detached power before removing other connectors. Fitted new digi in situ and reversed assembly to test before sticking digi down.  Home button responded but digi didnt. Double checked all connections and seemed fine.  Have I damaged digi or mb somehow? Short of buying another digi how can I prove what's faulty.  Tried old broken digi too and exact same result, home button ok but digi no response, but that is badly trashed so can not really use that as a confirmation.  The only thing that makes me think it's not the digi is that the home button goes through the digi connector and is not separate and the home button works ok. I currently suspect it may be a mb fault. Help..... Please!!  Regards jason

It may be the screen, you may have damaged the digitiser fpc on the board, a closer inspection is advised on the fpc on the board but most likely it's the screen, if you need anyone to look at it I'd be happy to
Quote 0 0
Bootlegger
From close inspection I cannot see anything wrong with the fpcs or any surrounding components. I have ordered a cheapo screen off ebay for testing purposes and just waiting delivery. I trust from YouTube clips I have seen that the digi will work without full reassembly so should be able to test without any bending of cable concerns. Will let you know. Just took a look at your website and your prices are very competitive. Nice to see.  I assume you can do micrsoldering repair work also. What sort of price would I be looking at for an for replacement fpc, touch ic or similar component repair? Regards jason.
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
replacement fpc on iPad minis are £45 plus £7.95 next day special delivery postage insured up to £500
Quote 0 0
Andyd2020
I agree with Bytesize, sounds very much like the screen or FPC connector.
Andy - Owner
Why Not Fix Ltd

W: http://www.whynotfix.co.uk
E: andy@whynotfix.co.uk
T: 07861 707870
Quote 0 0
Bootlegger
I rx the cheapo digi and tried it but still nothing. Now looking at the digi fpc on mb I see that top row of pins by caps and resistors are all there but one looks a little suspect. The bottom row by edge, only one pin exists at one side. i have assumed this is how it is manufactured as it doesn't look damaged per-se, just that they have never existed but when looking at YouTube videos of replacement of fpc, they show all pins existing.  So now I suspect this fpc also as you guys have already said.  Can anyone confirm if this particular fpc connector should be fully populated with pins on an original apple fpc,  and if so, how have all these pins come away? I have seen no evidence of the bits after original screen removal. Is it possible to 'burn' them away with shorting or something? Regards jason
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
Yes all pins should be present on the fpc, they may not all be used though
Quote 0 0
Bootlegger
Just to close this topic off, you were correct about the fpc. Got some off ebay and replaced the fpc with a new one using hot air. It's the first time I have every done an fpc replacement and so surprised it worked first time. Many thanks for the advice. As I said the fpc looked good apart from missing pins but it looked manufactured to me, and did not see any remnants during disassembly of failed pins from the fpc during disconnection. Now just have to clean up screen and stick down digi. Regards jason
Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.