Burti
Any ideas? I have replaced the glass part of the screen (twice as thought the first could have been duff) and the pad is just dead as a dodo, no sound, nothing. Any clue what could have gone pop? I have charged it too!
Appreciate any help as do this as a hobby and have not got all the whistle and bells.
Cheers
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
Hi Burti, have you tried plugging it into a computer to see if it's being recognised by iTunes?
Quote 0 0
Burti
Hiya - iTunes can see it, though when it asked to trust the computer, I am not able to press the "trust" so not able to progress. The LCD is blank and no sound.
Thanks B
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
have you tried holding the home button and power button together for about 20 seconds or until the Apple logo appears?

does the screen light up without image or if you can look at the screen under a good light can you see image without backlight?
Quote 0 0
Burti
I have tried the home and power button. Absolutely nothing. There is no backlight on the LCD or screen, just dead as a dodo. This is the second bit of glass I have put in there, as I just thought the first was faulty. I don't particularly want to buy a new LCD unless I have to as they pretty expensive, or could it be something else?
Thanks B
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
it could be you have damaged the LCD you could have also damaged a data choke for the LCD whilst prying off the flex cables, I would have a close look at the board with a magnifying glass to see if any components have come away.
Quote 0 0
Burti
I have taken a pic so you can see where the LCD plugs in. To my eye it looks good. Think I should bite the bullet and get a new LCD? This pad has been through hell with 2 small kids and a dog, screen replaced 5 times so far. Thanks
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
you'll need to pull  off the sticker so I can see the components underneath
Quote 0 0
Burti
Without the sticker
Thanks
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
everything looks to be ok there, I can't see any pry damage, I would try an LCD from ReplaceBase to check if that solves the issue and return it if it doesn't for a full refund, then some further diagnostics would be required to see if it's a no backlight and image or just no backlight, it's easier to diagnose when it's under the microscope with test probes as pictures only lets me see if anything might be missing, it won't tell me if anything has failed unless it was catastrophic failure and a nice black mess has been left
Quote 0 0
Burti
Good call, I shall source one now. Thank you so much for your help. Fingers and toes crossed that is does the trick.
Quote 0 0
FBG
Was the unit on when you replaced the lcd?
Quote 0 0
Burti
No, I always switch off before doing anything
Quote 0 0
NinjaRepairs
could be as suggested damGED LCD  can u post a pic of the lcd connector ? or u have blown the backlight ic shine torch onto the lcd at an angle when plugging the data cable in 
Quote 0 0
Burti
I have just popped in a new LCD. It has come back on fine and dandy.
Thank you guys so much for all your help, shame it was the expensive option, but over the moon that it is working.
Burti
Quote 1 0
Bytesize
glad to help

Peter
Quote 0 0
Andy @ ACE-Repairs
Ive changed hundreds of Air screens and never blown a LCD.  I leave power on occationally but always wait till the screen is black then use my finger nails to remove connectors.  Be good to find how your LCD was damaged.  What tool did you use to remove the connectors?  Any reason you can think off how the LCD was damaged? 
     Thinking about it, potentioally the LCD connectors can bend then not seat correctly.
Quote 0 0
mobifixstudio
I have hamfistidly damaged flexs before, it requires only a little pressure in the wrong place and is so easily done while gaining experience.

I still do it from time to time after nearly 40 years in the industry!
Quote 0 0
Burti
I have looked over the flex and there doesn't seem to be any damage to it or to connector. I remove connectors with my fingernail being as careful as I can. Maybe this LCD just had enough, it is about the 5th or 6th time I have replaced the glass in this particular Pad. Happy to send you the part if you want, I can hoof it out of the bin. [smile]
Quote 0 0
Andy @ ACE-Repairs
Hi Burti, thanks for the info & the offer but leave it in the bin.  Sometimes you just have to write things off for no apparent reason. 
Quote 0 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.