London Lad
Hi All,

I recently replaced a 6 plus screen assembly for a friend as a favour. I used a pre assembled LCD / digitizer / camera / home key etc etc as she doesn't use the finger print sensor and wasn't concerned about it not working. The repair went well and all tested fine.

BUT she is now having the following problem which I have verified:- When on a phone call and on hand free speaker phone, the other party hears a tapping noise. The user cannot hear this noise at all.

I can only describe the noise as a constant speed tapping / clicking that varies in volume as the user talks and is more prominent when the user is silent. It is quite loud and although it does not blot out the audio completely or effect its quality it is very annoying. This ONLY happens on hands free speaker phone operation and is never audible to the user.

The user states that she started to receive complaints about the noise straight after the new screen was fitted and I have no reason to disbelieve her.

I can't work out how a screen assembly replacement would cause such a fault and would much appreciate any guidance on where to start looking.

Thanks in anticipation.
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
if you replaced the complete assembly including the front camera/mic/speaker and proximity sensor which is all on 1 flex then it is possible this flex may itself be faulty, if you still have the original components try swapping out the part and see if that relieves the issue, the mic on that flex is used for facetime/speakerphone as opposed to the mic on the charge port flex when it's to your ear
Quote 0 0
London Lad
Ah thank you. Where is this second mic physically located please? I had assumed the 'hole' at the top of the display was only an earpiece on the 6 plus. I may still have the parts. Is it possible to just change the mic? I have proper soldering facilities.
Quote 0 0
Bytesize
it would be silly to waste time soldering the mic when the complete flex is so cheap, take off the 3 screws securing the earpiece bracket, remove the earpiece and the flex that the earpiece was encased in also has the little gold coloured mic which is stuck on to the earpiece mesh, remove the flex and replace with the original
Quote 1 0
London Lad
Thank you very much
Quote 1 0
Seasider
Whilst doing that it may be a good idea to swap over the home button so that the fingerprint works again....even though your friend is not concerned about it now, a working fingerprint sense will add value to the phone if they come to sell it in the future
Quote 1 0

Would you like us to send you notifications about discount codes, news and offers?

Remind me later

Thank you! Please check your email inbox to confirm.

Oops! Notifications are disabled.